Second DC04 belt worn through in ten days

If you need technical help with your Dyson DC04 you can post it here
mfcity
Dyson model: DC-04

Second DC04 belt worn through in ten days

Post by mfcity »

Hello,
If anyone has a tip for us, our DC04 needed its belt replaced about ten days ago, so I put on the second genuine Dyson belt, and now that one has just worn nearly through and slipped off its motor spindle. The wear looks very localized, about 2/3 of the way across the belt. Please see photos of the motor spindle and the worn-out belt. I'm not sure whether to replace the belt again, or why this recent belt failed so quickly.
Thank you very much for any advice.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

EssexVacs
Dyson model: DC24

Re: Second DC04 belt worn through in ten days

Post by EssexVacs »

Does the motor spindle feel hot after it's been switched on? Please be careful though as it can get very hot if that's what's causing the belts to melt/snap!
mfcity
Dyson model: DC-04

Post by mfcity »

I haven't tested that, but I imagine that might be at least part of the problem, as I remember smelling burned rubber last time it was running. Why would the spindle be getting hot?
EssexVacs
Dyson model: DC24

Post by EssexVacs »

The spindle gets hot when the bearings in the motor are knackered - you can also check by seeing if there is any movement of the spindle when you try to wiggle it from side to side (there shouldn't be any).

The spindle can get that hot that it can melt belts and cause the burning smell you mention. Obviously wait until the motor has stopped spinning before checking and only touch very quickly to begin with as it can get bl**dy hot!

If it turns out to be the problem, it's new motor time I'm afraid.
dering79
Dyson model: dc04

Post by dering79 »

Sound like a siezed brushbar. We had similar problem. Does your brushbar rotate freely by hand? If not try removing belt and see if it spins. If it is tight it sounds like bearings inside brushbar could be siezed and new brushbar is required. Hope this helps, as a brushbar is cheaper than a new motor.
BB Dyson
Dyson model: v6 fluffy

Post by BB Dyson »

When changing the belt it is always best to make sure that the brush bar spins freely. Also check for any wobbles the brush may have, as this can cause the belt to snap.

Sometimes over time, where the belt attaches to the brush it can get warped, causing the belt not to run true, so again check this.

It is always best to check the brush housing for any damage. If your old belt was not a clean 'break' and the motor shaft had burnt through the belt, this would have left a rubber deposit on the motor shaft.

Clean any burnt rubber from the motor shaft, a file is often the best way.